I feel like this book took all my thoughts and experiences and organized them in a way that makes me understand why I've been struggling in my career. I feel seen and heard.
An industry-backed approach to growth
Based on how more than 50 companies evaluate designers and employees, including Etsy, Medium, Dropbox, Square, Figma, Zendesk, Intercom, and Coursera.
Read by professionals working at:
- 282 pages of highly actionable advice
- More than 60 concrete action items on growing your career
- Reviews of six design career paths
- Six templates and canvases for career planning
- 12 competencies designers are measured by
- Printable PDF canvas for your growth plan
- 14 recommendations for additional resources
Get answers to these questions
- What career options do I have as a designer?
- What career path is right for me?
- What are the steps to reach my career goal?
- How do companies evaluate designers?
- What are my skill levels?
- What competencies should I be working on?
- How do I get a promotion?
How do I practically improve my skills?
While designers are busy improving mostly their hard skills, these are only a fraction of what a designer needs to be successful.
More than half this book is dedicated to improving the soft skills that you should have been taught in design school.
Your step-by-step guide to design career growth
Set career goals — explore six design career paths. Use five exercises to pick the right one for you.
Understand the path — learn which skills top companies require designers to have on each level.
Build your growth plan — evaluate where you stand and build an actionable plan to reach your next level.
Improve your skills — learn actionable frameworks and tricks on how to:
- Present design and communicate clearly
- Provide and accept feedback
- Manage and persuade stakeholders
- Improve team processes
- Build relationships
- Use leverage and increase impact
- Work efficiently
- Estimate better and prioritize tasks
- Take and grow ownership
- Understand the business
- Mentor others
- Participate in hiring
- and more
Get promoted — learn how promotions work and maximize your chances of getting promoted faster.
What beta-readers say
The level of detail in this book is remarkable. Many designers I've worked with would greatly benefit from building their career roadmap using this book.
After reading the book, I ordered a copy for each of my team members. It offers immediately applicable techniques that our designers can use for growth.
Who should read this book?
Students and graduates
- Understand possible design career paths
- Learn the skills that schools do not teach but are required by companies
- Get insight into the product design profession beyond just craft
- Understand your career options and set goals
- Adjust your career plan early to reach your goals quicker
- Build a growth strategy for your skills
- Assess what skills you need to grow to get promoted
- Build an actionable career growth plan for the short- and mid-term
- Increase your impact and build foundations to get promoted faster
- Explore your career path options
- Learn new techniques and tools to increase your impact
- Get an overview of the design career to mentor other designers effectively
Manager? Check out dedicated materials for youLearn more
- Promotion doc template
- 16 competency matricies
- 82 FAANG portfolios
Is there a Kindle version?Not via Amazon, but you can get the eBook above and use the EPUB format to transfer to your Kindle device.
What do the video-lessons cover?The video course parallels the book in content and structure. If you're someone who learns better through watching, listening and reading, the video-lessons offer a better alternative to reading. Given the wide range of design skills covered, you're likely to revisit the content in the future. Hence, I recommend choosing the format that suits your learning style the best. Getting the full package also gives you the flexibility to toggle between formats as per your convenience.
Do you offer student discounts?Yes. If you're a full-time student, send me an email from your ".edu" address or provide other verification, and I'll send you a 30% off coupon for the website. To date, students from schools like Harvard, Royal College of Art, MIT, Parsons, Stanford, CCA, UC Berkeley, Cornell, UCLA, Pratt, and over 50 others have read my books.
How can I include the paperback in the full package?Simply add both the paperback and the full package to your cart. An automatic discount will be applied, setting your total to $79 plus shipping.
Do you offer bulk pricing?Yes. If you're interested in purchasing more than 3 copies, please reach out to me via email for special pricing details.
What's the licensing for the book?When you purchase through this website, you're granted a license for personal use, intended for one individual. If you're looking to use the book or any of its content for teaching or within your organization, please contact me directly for the appropriate licensing.
Is there a money-back guarantee?Yes. I offer a money-back guarantee for the digital products available on the website (eBooks, videos and bonus materials). I believe you'll find substantial value in these resources. However, if for any reason you feel otherwise, just contact me within 30 days of your purchase, and I'll promptly refund your money.