The book is really fantastic and helped me prepare and get my dream job. I've also recommended the book to the creative department in my old job.
Practice Product Design Skills and Prepare For Your Next Design Interview
Redesign an ATM. Design a dashboard for a freelancer to manage their work. Redesign the NYC MetroCard system.
Learn how to solve and present exercises like these, that businesses use to interview digital product designers and UI/UX designers.
Become a better designer. Step up your career.
Today’s top companies are looking for business-minded digital designers who are not just focused on visuals. With this book, you can practice this mindset, prepare for design interviews, find project concepts for your portfolio and learn how to interview other designers.
Read by professionals working at:
What will you learn from this book?
- Prepare for design interviews — learn about how businesses hire digital product designers and master the design exercise.
- Step up your design career — practice your product design skills to become a better designer and prepare for your next career move.
- Improve your portfolio — showcase solutions to real challenges in your portfolio instead of unsolicited visual redesigns.
- Interview designers — learn how to interview designers and evaluate their skills in the most efficient and scalable way.
- A 7-step framework for solving digital product design exercises
- 5 fully-worked solutions to example design exercises
- 30+ examples of whiteboard and take-home exercises
- Printable PDF-canvas for practicing
- Tips and advice from five design leaders
- Techniques for generating ideas for exercises
- Tips for presenting your exercise
- Overview of the hiring process
- Guide for testing candidates using exercises
- and more...
What type of exercises will you learn to solve?
Featuring advice from experts in the industry:
Co-host of High Resolution podcast explains how designers can change their mindset and get to grips with business.
Design leadership coach (ex-Pinterest, Square and IDEO) shares skills which future design managers should work on.
Co-founder at Smith.ai, (ex-Apple, Google, Mint.com/Intuit) gives advice to designers who want to become founders.
Former Design Lead at Shopify explains the crucial skill most designers overlook.
Senior Product Designer at GitHub shares tips for getting a job.
Who should read this book?
Entry-level UI/UX/product designers and students
- Prepare for design interviews.
- Learn and practice skills that are needed to get hired by the top businesses.
- Build your portfolio with projects that demonstrate your problem-solving skills.
Mid-level and senior UI/UX/product designers
- Prepare for your next job interview.
- Learn tools and techniques that will help in your daily work.
- Learn how to interview designers.
- Learn how to test designers.
- Understand what mindset the most valuable designers should have to define the design role at their organisation.
Product professionals (PMs, engineers, data scientists, marketers etc.)
- Learn how to ask the right questions to make better product decisions.
- Learn how designers think so you can collaborate with them more efficiently.
What readers say
This book is fantastic! I recently applied for an Interaction Design role at Google […] It definitely worked because I got great feedback on the design challenge and I made it to the in-person interviews.
I received two great offers: one from a Fortune 10.
This book is informational from cover to cover.
A new staple in Product Design recruitment.
I was disappointed when I read it. Now realizing how well this book prepared me for my interviews there is no other option than giving 5 stars.
Must have book for students, who want to be Product Designer, UX Designer, or Interaction Designer.
Wonderful, practical guide to design thinking.
For those who are frustrated after they didn't get much feedback on their design interviews.
Buy the book
PDF, EPUB, Kindle
30-day money back guarantee
Paperback + eBook
How much time will it take me to read this book?The book has 158 pages, so it should take you about 3-4 hours. I value your time, so I worked hard to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high to make sure you can finish it over a weekend.
Do you have a money back guarantee policy?Yes, for the digital copy sold on the website. I’m convinced that you’ll find this book valuable. If you feel that it wasn’t, reach out within 30 days of purchase, and I’ll give you your money back.
Do you have a discount for students?Yes. If you’re a full-time student, send me an email and I’ll send you a 20% off coupon for the website.
How long will my print copy take to arrive? How much does shipping cost?All of your shipping costs and estimations will be available to you at checkout. Shipping costs start at: US — $3.99, UK — $3.44, Canada — $5.99, Europe — $8.53, the rest of the world depending on your location ~$5-10.
Do you have a bulk pricing?Yes. If you’re buying more than three copies for your team/students/event attendees reach out to me for a bulk pricing cost.
How environmentally sustainable is the product?The paperback is print-on-demand, which means that each copy is printed for each order. This method eliminates waste and the need for storage space. Some of the book profits were lent/donated via Kiva and donated to plant 4000 trees. I suggest you buy the digital copy rather than the print version. If you buy a print version please consider reselling it on eBay or Amazon later.
I’m a non-native speaker. Will it be hard for me to understand your book?I’m a non-native speaker as well but this book has been professionally edited and we have worked hard to make it accessible for native and non-native speakers. Read the first pages using "Look inside" feature on Amazon page of the book to see if you’re comfortable with the level of complexity.
I have a question. How can I contact you?Please contact me via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.